Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Three Muses - Travel

MY TRAVEL STORY ..... Once upon a time, before retirement, I traveled on business to the city of Chicago. At the end of the day, I checked into my motel, unpacked my cosmetics, freshened my makeup, and made my way to the hotel restaurant for dinner. While dining, the hotel manager approached me and asked me to stop by the desk when I finished my dinner, saying it was necessary to move me to another room. It seemed they had mistakenly checked me into a room that was already occupied by a Japanese businessman. I insisted there was no evidence of an occupant there, but he was insistent. Dinner finished, we made our way to my room. We looked about, and sure enough, on the far side of the bed sat a tidy, small piece of luggage, precisely placed by my almost roommate. We hastily gathered my things, and moved me down the hall. And so it was, in the city of Chicago on a chilly winter evening several years ago, a Japanese businessman and I narrowly escaped a late night encounter of startling dimensions!! Thanks Ann, for the challenge, and thanks everyone for reading my story!

23 comments:

  1. Oh Bev,
    This is glorious with all the destinations in it! You are so clever...I love the woman's silouette and the suitcases--wow...
    Positively gorgeous!
    Hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bev, this is exceptional! I love the silhouette of the traveller looking off into the distance. Your layering is superb.
    Great artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your collage definitely makes me wish I could travel the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent story and great way to illustrate the challenge! Enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very poignant... shes ready to discover the world and life.. (scary and exciting) love your story too..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chicago.... a city with a million stories and this is just one of them...love the piece... resomates with all the travel that I do and I do not just read one page!! thanks for the memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOOPS!! should read "resonates"... apologies for the mistake!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful story!
    and had I been checked in the room, you would have KNOWN someone else was there!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, what a shocker that almost turned out to be! I do love your artwork the dimension and layers are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've got to agree with all of the kudos and compliments, Bev! Such a beautiful piece - elegant and eloquent.

    LOVE your story! One can only imagine the consequences of a late night "surprise"!!! Hugs, Terri xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Bev!!! your story is wonderful...thanks for sharing this and accompanying it with this amazing art!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. loved reading your post - and your artwork is great as always!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My travelling days are over unfortunately but I loved your story and loved your picture even more. Great work.xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Splendid piece of art, Bev, illustrates your story perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this is the best quote I have read in a long time and you have illustrated it to perfection with such a sense of mystery.

    Now your story Miss Bev, is making me howl with laughter, can you imagine what might have happened had the mistake not been picked up?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great story Bev. If you ever were mistakenly checked into my room, I can assure you that there would be no doubt!! Great piece of art too. You know, when I worked in London I could see Big Ben from my desk. I used it as my own personal clock!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely piece of art and a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic art Bev,love it and your story is so funny too,I guess we'll never know what might have been lol!!

    Thankyou for the lovely comment on my blog,much appreciated.
    jayne:-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great story, great quote and amazing artwork. Love the background.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A superb story, bev, and a great piece of art to go with it. I love how you have melded all those landmarks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wonderful quote! So real! And fantastic piece of art! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful take on the theme. I like all those different layers and the silhouette is sooo beautiful! Great quote, too. And thanks for sharing your story :-)

    ReplyDelete