Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Three Muses - Rain

As early as I can remember, I’ve loved rain. In our part of the Illinois prairie you could see the spring rain clouds building from miles away over the vast flatness, their skirts billowed out like great, clucking mother hens. By the time they reached the far edge of the cornfield beside the house, you could see the leading edge of the curtain of rain, and hear the distant patter of raindrops on the corn leaves. The patter crescendoed to a wonderful rat-tat-tat as the first big drops set off spurts of dust in the barnyard. Ah, the wonderful earthy, fresh, sweet smell of rain! Growing up, I remember sitting on the porch so I could savor every minute of a daytime shower. If the rain came at night when I was in my bed snugged up against a window under the eaves, I’d move my pillow and lie with my nose against the screen, watching the breeze toss the limbs of the old elm tree in the front yard where my rope swing hung. Summer thunderstorms were wonderful too. Sometimes the distant sky turned almost black, the clouds rolling and tumbling, shaking themselves free of lightning bolts that arced to earth over the dark, green fields, the distant rumbling thunder building to bone-jarring cracks that accompanied spectacular electrical displays as the storm moved overhead. Majestic. Magnificent. I don’t remember fear, only awe, and somehow reassurance that I was part of a great scheme of things. I still love a rainy day!

13 comments:

  1. A beautiful piece of art, and gorgeous writing too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And did you sing and dance in the rain, Bev? Love the whimsey of your piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your memories they are so special...your picture reminds me of Gene Kelly in Singing in the Rain beautiful work Bev.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love singing and dancing in the rain, too! Umbrellas were made to dance around, right? Wonderful collage!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i can love rain, too. if it does not last too long;)
    great piece, bev!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a joy - I don't love the rain, but this is joyfull - love this

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Bev, for sharing such lovely happy memories and for illustrating those memories in such an uplifting and joyful way. A big high five from me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved your wonderful memories of the rain Bev and the little figure on your picture looks so joyful! A real treat! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It makes me want to run out and glory in the weather! Fabulous piece!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I very much liked your writing describing your lovely memories of rain. I'm with you on liking a rainy day. Your picture matches your joy of rain perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely joyful rain collage, Bev!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your memories added to the image makes it wonderful. To know how you reacted with rain and not having fear that goes with rain at times. Thunder and lightening.

    Yes you call it Magestic. Right.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the rain too. Great movement in your piece. So much to look at!

    ReplyDelete