Tuesday, December 23, 2008

BAH HUMBUG TOSHIBA !!


If there breathes a soul in the U.S. who hasn’t heard of the advent of HDTV in February, I applaud their lifestyle! As for the rest of us, we are reminded numberless times daily that February will see the end of analog TV, and our old television sets will only bring us endless snow. We must buy a new LCD-HDTV or a converter box if we wish to continue our television addiction. I am one of the last two people in the universe who does not have cable. I operate with rabbit ears,--quite successfully, I might add. A year and a half ago, I thought to get a step up on this madness, and purchased a new HDTV-ready set, so I’ve been feeling quite smug. Until a week or so ago. My Toshiba (a pox on them) locked in on a station and sat there in a fit of obstinance, not to be outsmarted by my remote OR the on-set controls. It would not change channels. It would not turn off. It turned a deaf ear and blind eye to my calisthenic histrionics. It was necessary to resort to the famous techno-nerd solution to all problems technical----stand on my head behind the entertainment center, sort out the maze of wires, unplug it and plug it in again. Sneezing from displaced dust motes, I was pleased to find whatever constipatory (MY word, like it?) process that caused failed movement seemed resolved. Once more I ruled my little technical world! This has been sporadic, however, and the entire process has been repeated at least once daily, much to my chagrin. In the true spirit of the season, thoughts of Peace on Earth Goodwill to Man wend their way through my head……to the exclusion of Toshiba. Whatever happened to Sylvania and Magnavox?

6 comments:

  1. It's becoming quite a complicated thing to live in this world anymore! Not to mention that you spend a lot of money on technology, only to have it become obsolete in a couple of years.

    BUT...I hope you have a very Merry Christmas anyway!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how funny! We're low tech too but are going into next year's change kicking and screaming with new equipment, lol.

    Merry Christmas Bev! LOVE this piece!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bev, I don't know your email address, but if you want to know more about how I made the Asian box, send me an email. I'd be glad to share with you.

    Hugs,
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're post is so apropo Bev! I am one of those hold-outs we have a TV and a little portable DVD/TV.

    But because we don't have cable we have no reception. Last year we added rabbit ears to the DVD/TV combo set to get emergency news as it can receive only one semi-snowy channel w/the ears!

    This doesn't mean we don't indulge in TV, it's on our terms, when we so choose & commercial free. We have a huge DVD collection. So we watch an evening movie or put on Seinfeld etc.

    But, I too have intention of getting a box... only for that one semi-snowy channel. I love your post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your stories, Bev. My new TV is a Sony and not a Toshiba but I had the same problems when it first arrived and I eventually found they were caused by accidentally brushing across one of the keys on the remote which instantly froze everything - even the ability to switch off without pulling the plug. Be dainty and keep unnecessary fingers away from the keys!! It may just work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel you pain...to turn on my TV you need four remotes...grrrr.

    Technology is bliss...LOL!

    Merry Christmas, Bev! and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete