Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Theme Thursday - Borders

Before we get lost in Santa Clauses, I wanted to honor harvest time. My mother loved this time of year, and there were always fall displays such as the one above in our yard featuring some of her prize gourds and colorful Indian corn. It was a time for harvesting the last of the garden bounty, canning and storing food in the storm cellar for the winter. There, my mother had constructed shelves on which she lined her sparkling jars of canned peaches, apples, corn, beans, tomatoes, jellies and jams. In a bin in the corner were stored potatoes, apples, and onions. In the fields, the corn and soybeans were being harvested. There was a smell of burning leaves in the air, and the sound of V's of geese honking overhead. It was pheasant hunting season in our part of Illinois, and my mother's brothers came up to visit and tromped the fields in search of pheasants, which were plentiful in those days. The golden days of fading summer are my favorite time of year!

18 comments:

  1. Lovely creation!
    But even more, what you said about the season put me in a wonderful cozy place, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this, it's a great creation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those borders! I'll bet those are really fond memories you have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great borders! love your autumn theme piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely Thanksgiving piece, Bev, and a wonderful memoir from your childhood days when life was simple but oh so good. I love the story of your mother and her preparations for winter. My mouth was watering as I read the lines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bev, your work is lovely, but your post is outstanding. I savored every word and took it to heart. Oh, sweet memories of my childhood! Hugs, Terri xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bev, your piece is wonderful. i love how you used a real life photo to depict your memories of childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very beautiful! I like :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bev, I love these little glimpses into your childhood, they're so heartwarming. A lovely piece all round my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a wonderful description of an Illinois harvest and a lovely photo. thanks for your comment on my breaking free drawing..the drawing is about breaking free from PMT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great piece and wonderful post. I can smell the canned peaches. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh.... I just love Autumn, and all the colors. Love your borders too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous creation. Love the scarecrow..

    ReplyDelete